Perhaps no other instrument in the last five decades has been able to capture the imagination of popular culture and music in the way the guitar has. It’s ability to encompass and animate almost every style of popular musical expression from the lilting romantic ballad, to the dark, angst-driven metal riff, makes the guitar a vital component in almost all forms of contemporary music.
Intrinsic to the guitar’s versatility, is the fact that it is able to combine the three musical pillars of melody, harmony and rhythm, with ease and to great effect. And with the growing synergies between newer guitar designs and emerging technologies, guitar players have been able to use the instrument, to shape the voice of their generation in remarkably fresh ways. From Jimi Hendrix’s incendiary celebration of freedom at Woodstock, to Yngwie Malmsteen’s warp-speed re-imagination of classical influences in a rock idiom, or Kurt Cobain’s tortured rock evocation of postmodern despair, the guitar today has become integral to breaking new musical ground. Perhaps NSM can help you take the first steps towards writing the next chapter of that unfolding story.
Level 1 is aimed at a complete beginner who would be playing the instrument for the first time.It can also include students who have been self
taught and have learnt a few chords or songs over the internet without a basic understanding of theory. The course starts from holding your first guitar and tuning it to being able to strum chords and pull off a few popular songs. Students who seek to write their own songs are highly
encouraged and will be provided with tips about songwriting. While we say this, we also need you to know that a lot depends on the amount of time you put towards learning and practise.
- Tuning your instrument, guitar care, posture and using accessories like capo, picks and tuners
- Identifying notes on the fretboard
- Finger exercises and patterns to help you build strength and flexibility
- Essential music theory including scales, chords and intervals
- Reading and understanding Tabs and Chord charts
- Practicing with a metronome
- Strumming patterns and rhythm exercises to help build a good rhythm sense
- Usage of Power Chords
- Understanding and applying the Circle of fourths/fifths
- Diatonic Harmony and its usage and application in music
- Basics of alternate picking
- Pentatonic, blues scales and Dominant 7ths
- Popular chord progressions- 12 bar blues and its usage
- Learning popular songs. We also train your ears to pick up the songs on your own
- Jamming skills- Playing with multiple musicians at the same time
This course is aimed at guitar players who have a basic understanding of the instrument and theory.If you are aware of most Level 1 concepts,
you could qualify for Level 2 after having completed an audition. However the first few classes will be spent revising most of the Level 1 concepts. If you already play for a band and are looking to do music professionally, this course will help you fine tune your skills and can also
be customised to suit your playing style.
In this course we get a lot detailed about chords and scale relationships to learning more styles of music like finger picking, blues, country and
also understanding a few techniques to help you play solos.
- Advanced Rhythm exercises including playing different time signatures, on and off count patterns using a metronome
- Scales and modal theory: In this we not only look at how they are played but also an understanding of its usage in composition and
- Learning riffs, licks and progressions of great songs
- Chord extensions and their use in modern music
- Soloing skills: An understanding of phrasing and different approaches. Hammer ons, pull offs, bends, legato, vibrato, harmonics and
pinch harmonics, string skipping and tapping, arpeggios, sweep picking, shredding, hybrid / economy picking, usage of a tremolo/ whammy bar
- Functioning and Static dominants
- Understanding and using Chord inversions in compositions
- How to get a good tone out of your instrument
- Usage of a processors and guitar rigs (Delay, chorus, flanger, octave, fuzz, distortion, overdrive, wah, stomp boxes, compression,
gate, drive, EQ)
- Music composition and songwriting (How to place a hook, a solo, a melody line, harmony, syncing lyrics to a tune)
- Advanced Ear training
- Playing with Dynamics
- Basic understanding of recording music and the tools involved
When you learn the rules of music, they give you a solid platform to confidently express yourself as an artist. Every new concept is like entering into another musical adventure. You will discover the nuances of vast musical cultures and study the harmony, melody and rhythms in detail. And of course, we will also help you break all the rules!
Music Theory is important for any musician. Firstly, the ability to communicate ideas between musicians becomes simpler to do with one common language of notation. Secondly, a vast knowledge of music theory broadens and sharpens your skills as a composer. We will realize that after studying the theory of music, we enter into a huge world of permutations and combinations of notes, rests, chords, beats, sub-beats and amazingly enough, all of them sound really cool and remind us of songs we have heard before, innovations or an entirely new musical creation.
- Forming and applying the Major Scale using multiple approaches
- Circle of Fifths
- Minor Scales, Blues, Pentatonic and scales from other cultures
- Melodic vs Harmonic
- Perfect, Diatonic and Chromatic
- Inversion of Intervals
- Ear training to appreciate and recall intervals
- Upper third and Lower third usage in harmony
- Meter, Beats and Sub-Beats
- Accenting and Syncopation
- Tied Notes and Rests
- Putting it all together
- Diatonic Triad Formulation
- Classification of Chords by emotion
- Implementing popular chord progressions
- Visual recognition of chords
- Chord Inversions
- Rules of Harmonization
- Voicing and SATB (4 part Harmony)
- Composing Harmony given the Melody
- Composing Melody given the Harmony
- Blues Form
- Basics of Voicing
- Circle of Fifths for Harmony
Popular Songs – Rs.5000 [7.5 hours]
In this section, we focus on getting you to play your favorite songs. We all initially have a childhood dream of rocking out on stage playing songs which inspired us growing up. At Nathaniel, we’ll teach you those songs in a musical way, but without spoonfeeding you. You’ll then showcase your skills to a live audience at a concert organized by us.
Ear Training – Rs.5000 [10 hours]
You can learn your favorite songs either by watching someone play it, reading from music notation or by using just your ears. While the first two involve others, this module will teach you to do it all on your own! Here, we focus on training your rhythmic, melodic and harmonic ear which will allow you to quickly latch on to and replicate pieces of music and also understand what’s going on inside the music. You do not need to be born with musical ears. It can be developed over time and with the right approach, you can be a much more expressive and confident musician when you interact with your peers.
Rhythm and Groove Creation – Rs.5000 [15 hours]
In this module we focus on understanding musical grooves and improving your sense of timing. You will learn how to use the metronome creatively, understand beat sub division, time signatures, odd meter and more. We will also help you build musical ideas by creating short phrases and then expanding them. Reading of rhythms is also covered here using standard drum notation. You will be taught how to create your own grooves, implement them with your band and also how to react to the grooves other musicians create.
Sight Reading and Notation – Rs.5000 [10 hours]
Learn how to read and write music using Staff Notation – a universal method for music composition and communication. Various musical pieces are taught with our teachers whose experience spans more than 30 years. This module is well suited for those of you preparing for entrance examinations or taking up grade exams of Trinity Guildhall and ABRSM. Our unique method will be able to put you ahead of your peers in terms of reading ability.
Music Composition – Rs.7500 [10 hours]
Playing covers is great, but eventually you will want to make a mark as an artist with your own songs. In this module we will be looking at various approaches to music composition which will allow you to have a unique voice as an artist. Lyric writing, orchestration and arrangement are also discussed in brief. Composition techniques include Genre-based Composition, Choral Music, Singer-Songwriter and more.
Music Production – Rs.7500 [10 hours]
Everything from recording your music to releasing the final master can now be done professionally from a place as cosy as your own bedroom! Doing this is more affordable and it allows the independent musician to be recognized on a shoestring budget. In this module, we focus on Sound-proofing, Acoustics, Sound Treatment, using equipment like microphones, cables, computers, audio interfaces etc., setting up a home studio and finally using industry-standard software Pro Tools to put it all together. After this module, you will be able to comfortably use Audio and MIDI data to create your next masterpiece.
Advanced Harmony – Rs.7500 [10 hours]
Harmony is a deep and fascinating subject which adds color and emotion to the music you play. In this module, we approach harmony from various perspectives including Chords, Voicing and Counterpoint. We start with the basics we learnt in the Music Theory module and then delve deeper into the techniques of using harmony in your music.
Song Analysis – Rs.7500 [10 hours]
In this module, we explore in detail the music that you choose. The songs and the artists behind them are studied from the point of view of structure/form, genre, lyrics and all the other musical ingredients – grooves, scales, chords etc…